There are an endless number of tools and people who want to tell you what you will need to live on in retirement and how much you need to save to reach your goal. Following is one good example.
The thing is that to make any calculations you need to also make assumptions.
This is where it gets tricky.
- At what age will you retire?
- How long do you plan to live?
- What inflation rate do you assume?
- What percentage of your working income will you replace in retirement?
- How much will you earn each year on investments?
- How will you invest your retirement savings?
- What tax bracket will you be in during retirement?
See how easy it is?
And that’s just the questions related to income. To tackle the big picture in more detail, you might want to try the free version of this planner.