Definition of ignorance
: the state or fact of being ignorant: lack of knowledge, education, or awareness
For our purposes, lack of education is not relevant, lack of knowledge and/or awareness very much is. I will expand the definition a bit for the 21st century.
Ignorance also includes accepting and passing along misleading and erroneous information unsupported by facts. Ignorance is allowing yourself to be manipulated to reinforce your preconceived ideas especially when not fact based. Ignorance is the failure to be or attempt to be knowable on a topic before developing an opinion.
Let me list several examples of erroneous and misleading information that are repeated over and over.
- Congress stole the Social Security Trust fund money
- Congress is paid its salary for life
- Congress has better and free health care coverage than other Americans
- CEOs are paid hundreds of millions if not billions in salary
- The United States spends a large part of its budget on foreign aid
- Tax laws favor the wealthy
- Health care can operate affordably as a free market system with competition and choice
- Government involvement in a health care system is socialism
- Current, expanded and new federal social programs can be funded by corporations and 1% of taxpayers
- Health insurance companies are ripping off consumers to obtain large profits
- Americans pay the very high retail prescription drug prices often quoted by politicians
- Student loans are a crisis for those with student loans
- COVID pandemic is not real, we are intentionally being given misinformation, vaccines are not safe, masks don’t work, etc., etc., etc.
- Immigration is bad for America
- Seniors as a group are poor, low income and have a high poverty level